Friday, December 31, 2010

He chose Pancakes

How could I possibly sleep now? How can I resume the episode of Frontline you interrupted? Suddenly the Taliban resurgence in South Afghanistan isn't so interesting. I was preparing to make my nightly paradoxical sleep appointment, I should probably reschedule now, maybe I'll find an opening in the afternoon tomorrow, I'm sure there will be.

So here I sit in front of this monitor, Alligator is on it's eighth track "Val Jester" which means it took me way too long to complete the first paragraph of this post, that can't be a good sign. Usually by now I'm off the blocks with something readable, I would have been comfortable enough to land a couple C+ knee slappers by now.

I've compromised so many full nights of sleep in my life it's frightening. Six hours would often be enough sleep if I hadn't seen the episode of Newsradio secretly airing in my bedroom past bedtime on a school night; Five hours would suffice if I was finishing up another hand written High School love letter, if Lions were being documented I watched and slept another day, the exact time needed to sober up after a fun night has often been 4....3...or maybe 2 Hours.

In most cases I would regret my decision to skip a full night of sleep when dragging ass at work or wasting a day off napping, it always seemed so pointless, "what did I accomplish staying up so late?" I'd frequently ask myself the next day, I never had a proper explanation for myself. I can however remember a handful of significant nights where the content and memory of the night before created a joyful high that lasted throughout the next day and made the decision to buck sleep a wise one. You never really know if losing sleep is worth while until the next day, that's what makes it such an interesting gamble, you could end up with an unforgettable night or an irritable morning of hatred for Raymond's Lovable sitcom.

I am now writing this post in the Year 2011, I've swapped the ball dropping and Champagne for yahoo news and hipster rock; which is an upgrade from my previous plans. I would have been sleeping by now if it wasn't for you, if you wouldn't have accidentally blurted out that Pancake and French Toast phrase I would be cleaning up the streets of Gotham as I type this right now (I make a WAY better Batman than Val Kilmer in my dreams).

Sometimes people have such a unique and memorable way of explaining things, when you described the simple choice as Pancakes and French Toast I knew it would be a night of little sleep for me, I would need Hours to analyze our conversation, and writing something verses laying in bed awake thinking about you and Kitten Mittens (normal bed time thoughts) seemed like the more productive activity.

It's been 3 hours since we've talked and I still have nothing of value to say, which is odd because usually I can offer something uplifting in these situations. I've always took pride in being helpful, mostly through levity, but overall helpful. It pains me to contribute nothing, I spent most of the conversation with a hand over my mouth to resist the urge of saying something dumb, I was unprepared and ill equipped for support, I could only hope listening was enough. To be considered important enough to call in a situation like this means a great deal to me, I won't need to wait for tomorrow, my sleep gamble is already paying off. I'm now glad I opted out of celebrating tonight, I would have missed your call and been unable to offer what little help I did.

Happy New Year

No comments:

Post a Comment